Wednesday 25 March 2020

THE WHITE COAT

[This is a tribute to the doctors worldwide, fighting against the pandemic, #CoVID19.]

I didn't have a chance
to speak to you once:
last week was brutal
how could I call?
Your words linger
on the dinner table:
mother is strong still,
I lie myself every minute!

Your white coat stays...
the one you had forgotten
to carry that noon.
Liza wears and plays,
will be a doctor, she says.
I feel you in her,
wish not to lose her!
No...no...not weak am I,
I haven't shed a tear.
I wish not to let you down!
I hope you are home now
to rest your heart for now!

I write not for you,
am not good with words,
I write for our little one
as a memoir of this moment
of grief and pride,
pledge and sacrifice,
for when she grows,
she shall read these words,
and adorn the white coat
you had forgotten
to carry that noon...
that unforgettable January noon!
Adieu! 

No comments:

Post a Comment