Friday 6 January 2017

WHEN I WAS BAD AT RHYMES!

I took to writing when I reached tenth standard. Two years before that, I was just like any other fellow who ignored the newspapers like textbooks. I was, therefore, weak in vocabulary and general knowledge! When I was in my sixth standard, there was a Junior Rhyming Contest. My father wished me to earn some laurels in English, especially after feedbacks regarding my poor stock of words were received from school.
I went, hesistatingly! I was clueless! A Rhyming Contest? Seriously? Plus, there were scholarly boys and smart girls from different schools. I felt like what a demonetized 500-rupee note might have felt in December, 2016 had she (let's be feminists at least for the sake of an assumption) been human!
The Contest started. The rules were something like this: each participant would be thrown a sentence, and he would have to rhyme that! There would be a total of three sentences! I wanted to finish everything soon, and get back home: the air was already humiliating me!
The first sentence to me was: "The significant cultural diaspora of Assam is enthusiastic!"
I replied: "Yes, the singora cultural diapers of Assam is like plastic!"
Dad frowned at me! I smiled, feeling some success at completing the statement!
Second one was: "The concerns for world's environment rise alarmingly!"
I felt something easier. I uttered: "No, the concerns for the school toilets are very lacking!"
Everyone laughed. I was an entertainer! Dad frowned at me again. I smiled again.
The third one was a real gutsy one: "Who would ferociously slaughter an innocent donkey?"
I rested my defence:"I would ferociously muffler my nightie!"
Dad stopped frowning! I kicked in the air for completing all three!
But that's not all! Today, I write! Just imagine...how daring it is! Like the man who is brave enough to pee on a police station wall!

No comments:

Post a Comment