Thursday 5 November 2015

SAFFRON LIGHTS

This write-up gives a glimpse of men, gods and festivals, and believe me, the words in it shall be fewer than my previous ones! Also, don't take it to be an article on photography; it is just a collection of sights seen at a place! Try to grab the way in which the art is done rather than how it is clicked!
This October, I had a chance to visit Puri, Orissa, India well-known for the Jagannath Temple. Although travel is not my cup of tea, and I am too poor at it, yet what I experienced there was more than inventing an algorithm on One Time Password. On Dusshera when victory of good over evil is celebrated, I was a part of something which I must not blabber and let the photographs speak!
The idols of Goddess Durga were lined on one side of the road, and the idols of the Ravana on the opposite. It was a joyous affair. People did not wish to miss the last farewell of the bride. About the idols of the Lanka King, people actually wanted to keep those, and never burn them. For there was a touch of imagination in every product of clay that stood godly and human, thanks to the artist who moulded behaviour into a mere muddy mixture. I just had to watch. On one hand, the crowd was carrying me forward, and on the other, the art was so convincing that I wished to understand every colour present. The posture and texture of the gods and goddesses were worth appreciating, and I know I cannot finish writing them down here. I don't know about the rituals involved, but I honestly feel that the art connected me to the thought that imagination is beautiful.
And, amidst so many people, I somewhere felt the presence of a soul, and how it stays calm beneath the skin.

Pardon me for the raw and poor images. Neither am I a photographer nor did the madding crowd allowed me to capture the click at correct times! I was clicking on the phone so that at least I could bring back some saffron lights captured in a device and a mind too!


The Post Dinner Affair









All copyrights of the photographs rest with anyone who may use them for any peaceful purpose!

2 comments: