Wednesday 3 June 2015

THE LAST RAINBOW

My calendar moves faster 
than my thoughts!
I am eighty, and I am far,
far away from roads
that lead to a rainbow,
or colours of hope!

"Do you sell rainbows
that look like rainbows?"

"Oh! Little Miss, yes, I do,
a last rainbow still left for you!" 

I sell rainbows...
I saw one last in 2104
when today was born
on the edge of carbon!

I sell rainbows today,
The Third of June, 2174:
old photographs of the bows
I frame in borders, yellow
for school projects on History
for the walls of fake nurseries!

The gods are happy:
their duties are starting to end.
I am a foolish octogenarian
who sold today his last rainbow
but none remains to know
all that my last wish is,
is to watch the lost rainbow
one last time
before the rains!


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!....

    If we continue the process of exploiting our nature and environment in this way, one day will really come when a photograph of rainbow shall be considered as an antique ... :-(

    I especially loved the last line...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, so very true! The sad story is that we don't act!
    Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete